Donut town


One of the things I've missed most ever since I had to go gluten-free is doughnuts.  They're one of my favorite breakfast treats and hold so much nostalgia as I used to go out with my Grandpa and pick up a dozen on the weekends.

There isn't much to offer in the gluten-free doughnut market.  They're either overpriced, sub par, or both often leaving me questioning where have all the good gluten-free pasties gone?

I'm always looking to improve my gluten-free baking game, so I took to my kitchen in efforts to make some good, these-taste-like-they-have-gluten-in-them doughnuts.  I was originally inspired by the gigantic container of rainbow sprinkles I had just bought, and I got to it.

What you'll need: 

Makes 6 doughnuts

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
6 tablespoons coconut milk
Gallon size Ziploc bag
Scissors

Chocolate glaze: 

4 ounces chocolate chips (vegan if you want to keep the recipe vegan)
1/4 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup confectioners sugar

Topping: 

Bowl of sprinkles!

To do: 

Lightly grease your doughnut pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients, then combine with dry ingredients.

Add batter into gallon size Ziploc bag, and cut off a small piece of the corner.  Add batter to doughnut pan, and bake for 13-15 minutes.

For the glaze:

In a small saucepan heat coconut milk until it simmers.  Remove from heat and add chocolate chips, stirring until completely smooth.  Whisk in confectioner's sugar.  Dip each cooled doughnut into the warm chocolate topping, then into the bowl of sprinkles.

Let cool and enjoy! 

Notes:

  • The original recipe can be found here.  I use this recipe as a base for a chocolate doughnut.
  • The original recipe calls for xanthan gum, but I wanted to test if I could get away without it. Xanthan gum tends to be expensive and I can't go through a whole bag before it goes bad.  The doughnuts turned out great without it!

Comments

Popular Posts