Friendship and vulnerability

In my Monday post, I briefly talked about this month's article club meeting.  The 6 of us ladies met and discussed an article on why it's important to court your friends.  Twenty-something girls talking about friendship can get real personal real fast.  We've all had our fair share of let down's and awkward encounters.  We started talking about our old friendships, our personalities, how it's often hard to make new friends in your mid-20s.  And then, the conversation went further, deeper.  We talked about events, struggles, parts of our paths in our lives that have made us who we are.  The parts that are hard to share, the parts that we only share with people who we know will safely carry that part with them.

I'm not sure I've ever had a night quite like that one.  If I have, I can count them on one hand. Ironically, the article was about courting friends, and the most attractive qualities I find in a friend were brought out in each of us that night - vulnerability, authenticity.

This night made me a little extra sad about moving next month, but I know that after spending the evening with them, I could call any one of them or text them or write them a letter from WA (as they could do to me) and it'd feel like we wouldn't be separated by anything but state lines.

Comments

Popular Posts