Bye bye GF section

I'm a little over the GF industry.  Since there's an intense demand for going GF, the new "trend" of course has turned into a multi-billion dollar industry.

What does this mean for us?

$8  for a pack of 5 (chalky) chocolate chip cookies.

If you know me at all, I'm a bit of a cookie connoisseur.  If you were to ask me what I'd take with me if I was stranded on a desert island Oreos would be right under chapstick.  And as someone who likes to get her sweet fix after meals, it's pretty easy to drop an absurd amount of money during the weekly pick-up from the store.

So.  I said peace out to the GF section and said hello to my cupboard.  I wanted to make a simple chocolate chip cookie - no fancy alternatives like greek yogurt or apple sauce - just your good, ole butter, sugar, egg recipe.  I ran to the store to pick up a bag of Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chips and made the cookie recipe found on the back of the package.  I substituted flour for a little Bob's Red Mill All Purpose and Trader Joe's coconut flour.

I used up my Bob's Red Mill (which turned out to be 2 cups).  I used 1/4 cup coconut flour.  The consistency was perfect.

(*Note: The balance of flours was really key in getting the right consistency.  I later learned coconut flour alone led to the dry, chalky sort of cookie.)

I'd like to clarify, I'm not boycotting all GF products.  As a new mom who's still figuring it all out, I don't have time to bake every little thing from scratch.  Udi's will still get my business when it comes to tortillas and frozen pizzas.  But when it comes to the dessert?  I think I'll stick to my cupboard.


Refer to the back of Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chunks for the recipe!


Comments

Popular Posts